Combining NoFap and coffee is something that’s been talked about a lot in the community.
Some men will swear off it, saying it could cause a relapse. Other guys claim that it helps them on NoFap and boosts the benefits they’ve been feeling.
Which group is correct?
We’ll answer that by looking at the pros and cons of both.
It’s also worth outlining the effects of caffeine consumption on the body and brain. This will give us a deeper understanding of how coffee and caffeine (or a lack of it) affect NoFap.
By the end of this article, you’ll know if you want to drink coffee while on NoFap.
How Caffeine Affects Your Body
Caffeine stimulates the CNS (central nervous system). It does this by increasing the circulation of adrenaline and cortisol. This makes you feel more alert and awake.
The short-term effects of caffeine can be felt within 5 to 30 minutes after consumption. These include quicker breathing, increased heart rate, and more energy. They can last up to 12 hours depending on the person.
Studies have shown that it can improve your mood and limit depression. This is especially helpful for guys going through NoFap withdrawals and needing a quick pick-me-up.
Other studies reveal that high levels of coffee consumption reduce gray matter in the brain. The study goes on to say that this may increase the risk of dementia.
Pros and Cons of Caffeine Consumption
Over half of American adults drink coffee every morning. Many of those who drink it enjoy the short burst of energy they get. And it comes with many long-term benefits.
Of course, too much of a good thing can be bad. It’s possible to drink too much coffee and even overdose on caffeine. Let’s go over some of the benefits and drawbacks of caffeine. Later, we’ll discuss how they relate to NoFap.
The Benefits of Caffeine Consumption
Here are the most notable benefits of caffeine:
- Mental alertness: This is perhaps the most sought-after benefit of caffeine consumption. You’ll have better alertness even if you don’t get a good night’s sleep. The drug reduces drowsiness and increases dopamine by blocking adenosine receptors in the brain.
- Increased metabolism: This study showed that caffeine increased the number of calories burned by increasing participants’ energy expenditure. Other experiments suggest that caffeine boosts metabolism for short periods after consumption.
- Improved memory and focus: Caffeine is perfect if you’re trying to learn something new or work for long periods. Researchers at John Hopkins University found that caffeine enhances memory for at least 24 hours.
The Drawbacks of Caffeine Consumption
Here are a few things you should watch out for when consuming caffeine:
- Caffeine dependency: Just 100 mg of caffeine per day is enough to develop a physical dependence. A lack of caffeine for such a person can trigger withdrawal. Symptoms include headaches, muscle soreness, and depression.
- Insomnia: Caffeine has an excellent ability to prevent sleepiness, but it can be a double-edged blade. Many experts recommend not having coffee after 3 pm since it can disrupt your sleep cycle.
- Upset stomach: Caffeine increases acid release in your stomach. This can lead to an upset stomach or heartburn.
In addition to these drawbacks, exceeding the limit of 400 mg per day may cause an overdose. This amount will differ based on an individual’s age, weight, and health. Symptoms of an overdose can include vomiting, confusion, and hallucinations.
We’ll explore how these benefits and drawbacks affect your NoFap experience in the following section.
The Link Between Coffee and NoFap
It’s clear that both NoFap and caffeine intake significantly affect your brain and body. But how can these practices be used to enhance your life? Moreover, could NoFap be easier without coffee?
Here’s our take on NoFap with coffee:
Some guys notice an immediate drop in dopamine when starting NoFap. This is understandable since they’ve stopped watching porn. They may also experience a flatline eventually. This is a period when guys can feel depressed and unmotivated.
Earlier, we mentioned that coffee increases dopamine when adenosine receptors are blocked. It can be used to boost dopamine when you’re feeling down. This can help productivity when you don’t feel like doing anything.
Coffee may make you prone to relapse in the short run. It puts you in an overstimulated, unstable state. Your adrenaline and cortisol are high. There’s more stress on your brain and body — and as we all know, stress is one of the main reasons guys relapse.
Overall, you can use coffee to make yourself more productive. At work, in the gym, or however else you choose. A state of increased productivity is an ideal way to stave off urges.
Here’s how NoFap without coffee can help or harm you:
It’s common to combine NoFap with a dopamine detox. This is a cognitive behavioral therapy technique. Participants fast from pleasurable activities such as listening to music, playing video games, and in this case — drinking coffee and abstaining from porn.
The purpose of this is to “reset” the brain’s neurochemistry.
Some men who quit porn realize it’s a dependency on something external. And they start to view coffee in the same light.
Be wary of changing too much, too soon. A lack of caffeine, if you’re dependent on it, might put too much strain on you. You’re also doing NoFap, which will make you more likely to cave.
So what’s the solution? We suggest slowly restricting your caffeine intake. First, reduce the number of cups you’re drinking per day. Pay close attention to how you feel. Also, consider going an entire day without coffee. Again, note how you feel.
If you find that you’re more likely to relapse, you should continue to drink coffee.
Does Coffee Affect the Benefits of Nofap?
It’s clear that coffee can help you with the “abstinence” part of NoFap. But what about the long-term benefits of NoFap? Does coffee add to, or take away from them? Let’s look at a few.
- Increased muscle mass: Coffee will definitely help you here. Studies have shown that caffeine enhances athletic performance. It’s even a popular choice as a pre-workout drink among many bodybuilders.
- Improved sleep: Coffee can work against this benefit. But only if you time your coffee consumption poorly. Caffeine has a half-life of about 5 hours. This means it’ll take 5 hours for half of the caffeine in your system to wear off. For optimal sleep, stop drinking coffee by 12 pm.
- Increased testosterone: NoFap can increase your testosterone in the short run, and so can caffeine. A 2008 study in the “International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism” stated that power training without coffee increased testosterone concentrations by 15%. Adding an 800 mg dose of caffeine provided an increase of 21%.
Coffee is great at enhancing the benefits of NoFap. Let’s look at the correct way to use coffee to achieve this. If you want to try NoFap without coffee, we’ll suggest alternatives too.
We recommend consuming caffeine in moderation. This is about 3-5 cups of coffee a day, or 400 mg based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
If you decide to go without coffee, here are some alternatives:
- Kombucha: This is a fermented drink made from black tea and bacteria. It also contains yeast and sugar. There are many health benefits from the probiotics, acetic acid, and antioxidants produced after fermentation.
- Lemon water: This is a simple way to start your day. It’s packed with vitamin C and doesn’t have any calories or caffeine.
- Chicory coffee: If you don’t want to give up the flavor and feel of coffee, try chicory coffee. It’s made from the chicory root and tastes very similar to coffee. It’s also caffeine-free.
- Matcha tea: Matcha is a brewable green tea. It has a concentrated amount of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) which is an antioxidant. It’s known to reduce your risk of high blood pressure.
- Yerba mate: This is a caffeinated herbal tea. One cup has about 78 mg of caffeine which is similar to a cup of coffee. It’s also loaded with antioxidants.
You can consume coffee in moderation or go with an alternative. Regardless of which you choose, incorporate healthy habits. This is to ensure you’re not relying on coffee as a crutch for poor sleep. Lack of sleep is a big factor in many relapses.
A Recap on Caffeine and NoFap
Caffeine isn’t entirely bad, but it isn’t completely good either. It’s simply a tool that can be used to your advantage if you have the proper knowledge.
Caffeine is an excellent way to increase productivity and enhance the benefits of NoFap.
But it can also be misused.
Throw NoFap into the mix, and things can get complicated. NoFap can have many guys on edge due to withdrawals and other symptoms. Too much caffeine, or too little can increase the chances of relapse.
You could also try NoFap without coffee. It’s a popular way for guys to do a dopamine detox which has many benefits. There are plenty of caffeine-free alternatives.
Whichever way you choose, maintain healthy habits. Moreover, speak to a professional regarding your caffeine intake if needed.